UPDATE ON SAVE DRURIDGE BAY CAMPAIGN and UPCOMING FUNDRAISING EVENTS
- We have had a number of small group meetings recently in relation to our case. Last week we met with our Solicitor/Advocate Paul Stookes from Cambridge together with members of Friends of the Earth from London and their Planning Consultant. We discussed how the Planning Inquiry would go as in procedure and also what witnesses we had. We then had a Site Visit the following day so our Solicitor Paul and the Planning Consultant could get to grips with where the actual opencast would be.
- There is a Pre-Inquiry Meeting which is being held on the 18th January at the Falcons Rugby Ground where our Solicitor, a couple of members of Save Druridge, Friends of the Earth representatives and their Barrister and Banks Mining and Northumberland County Council will meet to go through the procedure dates and times etc as well as raising any queries. PLEASE NOTE anyone who has already submitted an objection to the Planning Inspector will get notification from the Planning Inspectors office at a later date to see whether you wish to speak at the Inquiry. You can also register on the first day of the hearing being the 31st May to speak at the hearing. It is an 8 day hearing at the Falcons Rugby Club in Kingston Park, Newcastle.
- We are currently sorting out Expert Witnesses. These would be people with qualifications or really good experience in those subjects which Save Druridge will be speaking on at the hearing. If anyone knows of people working in the following fields who you think may be prepared to speak on behalf of Save Druridge please let us know.
hydrology noise air pollution light pollution traffic consultant ecology
- PLEASE NOTE the May elections are coming up for our local Councillors. It would not be a bad idea to put some local pressure on them stating if they are looking to get re-elected then support Save Druridge against the Opencast.
- Friends of the Earth will be mainly concentrating on Climate Change and we are not allowed to duplicate any evidence so will be working closely with them.
- A MURDER MYSTERY NIGHT at the Women’s Institute Hall, Widdrington Village. This is on Saturday 28th January at 7pm. Solve a dastardly crime, dance to some great music and enjoy lovely food (bring your own drinks). If you want to take part, please telephone Marion on 01670 760766 to reserve tickets.
- A SAVE DRURIDGE BAY CAMPAIGN ARTS EXTRAVAGANZA organised by Bethany Elen and North East Socialist Singers to be held at Gosforth Civic Theatre between 12 noon and 10pm on the 12th February. It will be lots of music, talks, poetry etc and sounds good fun. If anyone has not seen Bethany before she has an absolutely lovely voice which I can vouch for. There will also be craft stalls. For more information email email@example.com. Or take a look on our Druridge against Opencast Facebook page which has details of this on there.
- A BEETLE DRIVE to be held at The Drift Café, Cresswell on Friday 24th March. More details to follow.
- FINALLY SDB will be holding an Auction in April with an MGT car being auctioned with some other items.
AGM Postponed – Please note that the Tynedale Green Party AGM has been rescheduled and will now take place at Hexham Community Centre, 6.30 p.m. on Friday 13th January
On Thursday 10th November at 7.30pm, come join us for our next bi-monthly social gathering where we get together to chat and discuss local & national issues.
This month’s gathering will be held at Stonehaugh Village Hall, a lovely scandinavian-style timber building which is heated by ground source heating & solar panels. What can be more appealing than an environmentally friendly building with a bar! The community hall is located at the far end of the main street in Stonehaugh.
Our social gatherings are open to both members and non-members and we welcome everyone with a keen interest in Green issues.
This visit is part of our campaign to get out and meet local people in our Target Ward, to learn what interests them and to explain how having a Green councillor can make a real difference to local communities.
For map click here