IF NOT NOW, WHEN?
The Green Party Manifesto 2019 is the programme we need to move to a zero carbon future; a safer and sustainable society for us all? Read it here:
Our ‘Green Guarantee’ – from the party for the future
An economy for tomorrow
An innovative economy that means business. A redistribution of power, wealth and jobs, for genuine equality and social security. A new economy of sharing, participation and collaboration.
A future unlimited by climate change
A green industrial revolution for a jobs rich, energy efficient Britain. Fossil fuels left in the ground and nuclear power in the past. Every building a power station and every citizen owning the technology.
A citizens’ democracy
A country where everyone has a voice. A future negotiated not imposed. A fair voting system that allows you to take back power and where every vote counts.
Borders for a modern world
A humane immigration policy. A community immigration premium to fairly share the benefits of free movement and build strong social connections. Sanctuary for those in need.
Common ownership of public services
From our hospitals to our railways, schools, public spaces and housing – smart, properly resourced, future facing public services that are run by the people for the people.
A referendum on the terms of any EU deal
Putting people in control not letting things get out of control. A general election to decide who delivers the deal. A solid commitment to working together to solve common problems.
An insurance policy for nature
A promise to always protect the natural world that is our life support system. Every child knowing the value of our bees and bluebells. Every community with access to green space.
‘For the common good’ the Green Party 2015 general election Manifesto
Download a PDF copy of our 2015 General Election Mini Manifesto
View an online version of our 2015 General Election Mini Manifesto
Download a PDF copy of our Full 2015 General Election Manifesto
Or read extracts from our mini manifesto bellow.
Taking back our health service
We know how important it is to have a health service that can provide the best possible care for you and your loved ones when you need it.
We don’t believe that the public’s health should ever be up for auction. That’s why we are completely opposed to the Conservatives’, Labour’s, and Liberal Democrats’ policies of introducing market forces and competition into the NHS – a process which is placing the interests of corporate profits ahead of the nation’s wellbeing.
- Fight for a publicly funded, publicly provided health service free at the point of use.
- End the creeping privatisation of the NHS and repeal the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
- Make mental health a much higher priority with resources to match this status.
An economy that works for all
Britain is one of the wealthiest nations in the world but this wealth isn’t being shared fairly.
We currently have an economic system that prioritises growth in company profits over the wellbeing of society. This has seen money concentrated in the hands of a wealthy few; leaving the rest of us to suffer at the hands of the Coalition’s austerity agenda.
We believe there is a positive alternative to this mix of one-sided growth and austerity: an economy that works for everyone.
- End austerity and restore the public sector, creating over one million good jobs that pay at least a living wage.
- Pay for this with a new wealth tax on the top 1%, a Robin Hood Tax on the banks and the closure of tax loopholes.
- Increase the minimum wage to reach a living wage of £10 an hour by 2020.
Secure, affordable housing for everyone
We all want where we live to feel like home, to feel safe and secure.
The Coalition has made this more difficult by pushing through the hated bedroom tax for social tenants, allowing landlords free reign to raise rents faster than inflation, and failing to invest in the supply of housing so that homes are over-priced and out of reach for many.
- Abolish the cruel and unfair bedroom tax.
- Build 500,000 social rented homes by 2020 and bring empty homes back into use to ensure everyone has access to an affordable place to live.
- Cap rent and introduce longer tenancies to provide greater protection for renters.
Fossil free, affordable energy
The traditional Westminster parties are failing to act as guardians of our planet.
They are putting our homes at risk of flooding and watching as native species are driven to extinction by temperature rises. Meanwhile they back the big corporations who are doing the most damage, allowing them to frack our countryside and pollute our air and waterways with their toxic waste.
- Take serious action on climate change by working with other countries to ensure global temperatures do not rise beyond 2 degrees.
- Phase out fossil-fuel based energy generation and nuclear power.
- Invest in a public programme of renewable generation, flood defences and building insulation.
Quality Education, No Tuition Fees
We want every young person to have access to a quality education, no matter what their family’s income.
That’s why we are opposed to the government’s privatisation and commercialisation of schools, colleges, and universities which is making access to a good education dependent on financial privilege.
- Scrap university tuition fees.
- Promote a comprehensive system of local schools offering mixed ability teaching staffed by qualified teachers.
- Bring Academies and Free Schools into the Local Authority system.
Making public transport public
We believe that public transport should be run in the interests of passengers, not to make a quick profit for shareholders.
The privatisation of Britain’s transport network has done a huge disservice to passengers: driving up prices whilst creating a race to the bottom in service provision.
It’s clear that passengers are not getting a fair ride.
- Return the railways to public hands to stop profits being put before passengers.
- Introduce an immediate cut in fares of 10% to give passengers a much-needed financial break.
- Promote walking and cycling to help reduce pollution and improve people’s health.